March is National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month!
March is National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month! We’re proud to honor those we serve and to celebrate the work that we do. Take a look at some of our hopes and goals, and the events we have planned throughout the month!
BCL HOPES AND GOALS FOR MARCH
- To highlight the value offered to our communities by persons with developmental disabilities
- To demonstrate how these individuals come together to form strong and diverse communities
- To raise awareness of persons with disabilities and reduce stigma and stereotypes
- To raise awareness of Better Community Living’s resources and support services
- To engage all in embracing this population of individuals as members of the community
HAPPENINGS & EVENTS
- March 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 – NYACause
- Not Your Average Joe’s, 61 State Road, Dartmouth, MA 02747
- 11am-10pm, dine-in or takeout, Wednesdays all day, 15% of bill will benefit BCL
- March 12 – BCL, Disabilities Awareness, and Caregiver Self-Care Day at NB Well Sundays
- NB Boys and Girls Club, 166 Jenney Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
- Free, collaborative event with the New Bedford Wellness Initiative
- 10:30am Qigong and 11am fitness class
- 12pm awareness “walk” and rally in the gym with food and prizes
- 1pm all-levels yoga
- 1pm suicide prevention training with Rev. David Lima
- 2pm mindfulness guided group meditation
- chair massages, SouthCoast Health Van, a hypnotist, and more!
- March 17 – Access Dance
- VFW Poirier Post, corner of Ashley Boulevard and Appleton Street
- Open to the public, 7pm – 10pm, DJ, snacks and soda, $10 entry
- St. Patrick’s Day themed – wear your green!
- March 22 – 99 Dining for a Cause
- Pub 99 Restaurant, 34 Sconticut Neck Road, Fairhaven, MA 02719
- 4pm-9pm, dine-in or takeout, 15% of bill will benefit BCL
- Bookmark distribution
- Bookmarks will be distributed to every area library with information that supports disabilities awareness and provides a link to Better Community Living’s website